Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kale chips to toast Spring!

Hello friends old & new,

Three days into Spring and all I think can about is walking to the Farmer's Market in Downtown Manchester and sampling the fresh local produce that NH has to offer.

This transitional season is one of my favorite, the weather gets warmer, the flowers come out and people come out of hibernation and are more cheery. :)

There is nothing quite like having organic fresh produce and goods from your local farms at your fingertips. The Kale that I will be turning into chips is from the Farm & Flower Market in the North End of Manchester, they provide a wide variety of local farms produce and goods.

Support local farms, think globally and act locally. Ok, enough jib jab.

I love leafy greens. Kale, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Arugula = Heaven. They are all delicious and have a certain spice or kick to them that really intrigues my palette.

It's a super green & in the Middle Ages it was one of the most common greens, what was once old is new again. Here is some more fun info about Kale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

Kale is a bitter green and it's great when sauteed, added into stews, but my favorite is crisping it.
In the Organic market they sell Kale chips for up to $7.00 a bag.. Save yourself some dough and make delicious ones of your own!!

Instructions:

Ok, so set your ovens to 325 degrees.
*Grab that gorgeous head of Kale and strip the leaves from the stems and tear the leaves into pieces. Whatever size you like.
* Liberally apply Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper and Cumin to the Kale on a baking sheet.
* Pop into the oven for 25 mins turning the leaves every so often
* When the leaves are crispy and dark green color your chips are ready!
* Enjoy the chips as in or add a little Parmesan cheese to the mix.


They will not disappoint! :)

****

Today has been a chilly but lovely Spring day here in NH! The Hippo Press' Best of 2011 came out today where I won for Best Local Solo Musician, thanks for the love & support!!


Seeing the Kale Chips only take 25mins, I did a cover of Ben Harper's With My Own Two Hands.
BUT
My internet is being funky and won't let me upload my video or other pictures.... :( will try again later.

Song choice:
This is a new thing I'm adding to the blog...
Go out and buy or listen to Adele's new album: 21 It's magnificent. Her songwriting and sultry jazz voice captivate you from the first note sung to the very last. I've been cooking with Adele lately. Very hearty music for the kitchen.

ALSO! NH peeps, Be sure to pick up next week's Hippo Press magazine because they will be featuring an article about the blog! Or read it here: www.hippopress.com

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment